New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker is introducing a comprehensive bill on Tuesday that would not only deschedule marijuana in the federal Controlled Substances Act but also provide funding incentives for states to legalize.
Booker announced the details of the Marijuana Justice Act on a Facebook Live video:
The bill’s provisions include:
- Removing marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act;
- – Retroactively expunges federal marijuana use and possession crimes
- Incentivizing states through federal funds to change their marijuana laws, if illegal;
- Withholding federal funds for prison construction or staffing in states that have disproportionate arrest rates for minority and low-income individuals arrested for marijuana offenses;
- Allowing individuals currently serving a term in federal prison for marijuana use or possession to petition a court for a resentencing hearing;
- Creating a reinvestment fund for communities most affected by the war on drugs with grants in areas such as job training, reentry services, public libraries and health education programs, among others.
Marijuana advocates hailed the new legislation. Tom Angell, who heads nonpartisan organization Marijuana Majority, called it “the single most far-reaching marijuana bill that’s ever been filed in either chamber of Congress.
“More than just getting the federal government out of the way so that states can legalize without DEA harassment, this new proposal goes even further by actually punishing states that have bad marijuana laws,” Angell said in a statement. “Polls increasingly show growing majority voter support for legalization, so this is something that more senators should be signing on to right away.”
This story is developing and will be updated.
READ: Marijuana Justice Act
Start a Marijuana Business Today: CertificationClinics.com™ offers a comprehensive business model for recommending Medical Marijuana Certifications and/or Dispensary Ownership in your area. The CertificationClinics.com™ Business Support staff will educate you in every of the growing medical marijuana industry, providing you a fully operational and profitable enterprise. Learn More »